Letterpress Printing on a Vandercook Cylinder Press: Core Curriculum
June 3rd, 2012 9:30 AM
- Instructor: Lisa Rappoport
- Workshop Extra: Core Curriculum, Certificate Program
- Workshop Type: Printing
- Workshop Status: Closed
- Workshop Start: June 3rd, 2012 9:30 AM
- Workshop End: June 24th, 2012 5:30 PM
- Sessions: 4
Sundays, 6/3, 6/10, 6/17, and 6/24
9:30am - 5:30pm
This series of workshops covers typesetting and printing on a Vandercook cylinder press using metal type, wood type, and photopolymer plates. You will have the opportunity to work on your own projects as well as create collaborative works with other students. You will learn advanced typesetting and press lock-up, how to print on dry and damp paper, ink mixing, multiple-color registration, and the basics of press mechanics. After this workshop you will be qualified to rent SFCB's Vandercook presses.
Materials to bring: none
Materials Fee: $50
Letterpress Printing on a Vandercook Cylinder Press is part of the SFCB Letterpress Certificate Program. To receive the Letterpress Certificate, students must complete Letterpress Printing on a Vandercook Cylinder Press, Photopolymer Platemaking Lab and Advanced Letterpress: Production Printing.
Advantages of participating in the SFCB Letterpress Certificate Program:
• Access to the best letterpress facilities and instructors on the West Coast;
• Collaboration and interaction with other eager letterpress students;
• Knowledge of the essentials of traditional letterpress printing;
• A beautiful letterpress-printed completion certificate;
• Discounts on class registration and studio rental for certificate holders and students enrolled in the certificate program;
• Five hours of free studio rental;
• Opportunity to participate in exhibitions in the Austin/Burch Gallery;
• The satisfaction of knowing how to make to make a darn good letterpress print!