A Satisfaction of Movable Mechanisms online workshop
April 16th, 2021 5:00 PM
- Instructor: Shawn Sheehy
- Workshop Type: Arts
- Workshop Status: Open
- Workshop Start: April 16th, 2021 5:00 PM
- Workshop End: April 18th, 2021 4:00 PM
- Sessions: 3
This is a three session online workshop, all times Pacific:
Friday, April 16, 5-7pm
Saturday, April 17, 1-4pm
Sunday, April 18, 1-4pm
Think back to the last time you picked up a movable card. You moved the mechanism back and forth, soothed and satisfied by the movement. You wished there was a collective noun for movable cards. Well, there is! Join seasoned paper engineer Shawn Sheehy in building A SATISFACTION of eight movable mechanisms that demonstrate a wide range of movement possibilities.
All you need is a simple set of hand tools, a short stack of materials, and an interest in engaging with technical paper mechanics. And to dial up the satisfaction quotient, you'll bind your collection into a tidy sample book. This class will be technical, and very, very... satisfying. All levels are encouraged.
Materials to Bring:
- x-acto knife with extra blades
- bone folder
- cutting mat
- pre-workshop access to printer and copy paper
- japanese screw punch (optional)
- At least 11 sheets of white 8.5" x 11" 110 lb index stock; for example
- At least 6 sheets of multi-color 8.5" x 11" 80 lb cover stock, or six more sheets of the white index listed above. Possible sources include Arch Art Supply, Dick Blick, or Paper Papers
- 24" of 15-20 gauge unbleached unwaxed linen thread (or other heavy thread); for example
- low-tack painter's tape
- one roll of 1/4" 415 tape
- 1 sheet 10 3/4" x 6 1/4" 140 lb cover stock or similar, any color (you could also use a sheet of 80 lb cover); for example
Workshop Fee: $250
Tuition assistance is available; please apply here.
Date & Time: 3 sessions :: Friday-Sunday :: April 16-18, 2021 :: See description above for class times
Location: Online via Zoom
Please read over the SFCB Registration Policies before signing up for a class.
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE 3 DAYS PRIOR TO THE START DATE OF THIS WORKSHOP.
About the Instructor | Shawn Sheehy
Shawn Sheehy has been teaching book arts courses and workshops on the national level since 2001. His broadsides and artist book editions have been collected by such prestigious institutions as Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, University of Chicago, Library of Congress, UCLA, and Harvard. His pop-ups have been featured twice in both Hand Papermaking magazine and Vintage magazine. Sheehy's trade pop-up book Welcome to the Neighborwood (a mass-market version of his artist book) was released in 2015, winning numerous awards. The mass-market version of his artist book Beyond the Sixth Extinction was released through Candlewick in October 2018. He holds an MFA in the Book Arts from Columbia College Chicago.
Past Student Reviews:
“It was a fabulous workshop.”
“Had fun being led through pop-up making instead of trying to figure a pop-up out through reading a book; instruction in a workshop includes warnings of accidental diversions and allows for in-the-moment questions and answers.”
“The whole setup was great. The content of the workshop was a good level too - I am a pop-up novice but felt I could manage to follow along quite easily.”
"This was a fantastic experience. Shawn is the best. He is knowledgable and so patient."
“The best best workshop I have taken on Zoom.”