Artist Books: List, Collection, Library online workshop
March 14th, 2021 10:00 AM
- Instructor: India Johnson
- Workshop Type: Arts
- Workshop Status: Wait-list
- Workshop Start: March 14th, 2021 10:00 AM
- Workshop End: March 28th, 2021 12:00 PM
- Sessions: 3
This is a three session online workshop: Sundays, March 14, 21 & 28, 2021.
This workshop explores collecting and curating as a creative practice. In addition to book structures that lend themselves to displaying collections, such as the Pocket Blizzard Book, we will engage verbal forms that operate similarly, such as lists, erasures, and indexes.
Equal parts creative writing and bookmaking, this workshop's primary aim is play: it is intended to be a generative space. In addition to our sessions together, students will be mailed a set of optional prompts to inspire writing and mark-making outside of class.
Each class period begins with a short warm-up (writing or mark-making) and proceeds to one simple structure: a concertina with pockets, a Blizzard Pocket book, and a cards-in-a-box structure inspired by Fluxus bookworks. In addition, each class period includes time for a short creative writing exercise, and a brief reading discussion.
Students will receive a mailed kit containing:
- 2 pieces of University of Iowa Center for the Book Chancery Paper
- 1 Hollinger mini document case
- 2 pieces of machine-made Japanese paper measuring 11” x 52”
- 1 piece cover weight paper
- Reference materials about the structures we will learn
- Short readings for discussion
- A set of generative prompts for creative writing and mark-making that students can choose to engage outside of class (or not).
Materials to Bring:
- Mailed kit materials
- Bone or teflon folder
- Awl or pin vise (a push pin may suffice in a pinch)
- X-acto knife, Olfa knife, scalpel, or other craft knife + a couple of spare blades
- Ruler, preferably metal, 12”
- Cutting mat
- Needle + thread (optional)
- Watercolors + brush (optional, for at-home prompts only)
- Glue stick (optional)
Workshop Fee: $150
Tuition assistance is available; please apply here.
Date & Time: 3 Sundays :: March 14, 21 & 28, 2021 :: 10-12pm Pacific time
Location: Online over Zoom
Please read over the SFCB Registration Policies before signing up for a class.
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO THE START DATE OF THIS WORKSHOP TO ALLOW TIME FOR KITS TO SHIP.
About the Instructor | India Johnson
India Johnson is an Iowa City-based artist who makes sculptures, installations, and participatory projects in and about libraries. She attended fine binding school at the LLOTJA and holds an MFA from the University of Iowa Center for the Book.