From Magic Wallet to Jacob’s Ladder Online Workshop
November 11th, 2020 3:00 PM
- Instructor: Bettina Pauly
- Workshop Type: Binding
- Workshop Status: Closed
- Workshop Start: November 11th, 2020 3:00 PM
- Workshop End: November 18th, 2020 5:00 PM
- Sessions: 2
This is a two-session online workshop.
The Magic Wallet is an oddity related to a möbius strip. The Jacob’s Ladder is a toy that is also known as ‘magic tablets’, ‘Chinese blocks’ or a ‘klick-klack toy’. It normally consists of wooden blocks held together by strings or ribbon; when the ladder is held on one end, blocks appear to cascade down the strings, and when made out of wood making a ‘klick-klack’ sound. We will be making this structure using book board instead of wood - quieter, but still fun!
In the first session, students will make a Magic Wallet; in the second session they will build on that understanding to create a Jacob’s Ladder.
This structure is great for artist’s books which we will discuss if time allows!
Materials to Bring:
Basic Bookbinding tools: Self-healing cutting mat, x-acto knife, bonefolder, straight edge, PVA glue, glue stick, pencil.
First session: Magic Wallet:
- 2 pieces of binders board: 5”x3.5”
- 2 pieces decorative paper to cover board and wrap around edges: 6.5”x5”
- 2 pieces decorative paper for paste-down: 5”x3.5”
- 3 strips of paper: 2 strips 1” wide 5.5” long; 1 strip 2” wide 5.5” long
Second session: Jacob’s Ladder:
Students should wait to cut material for the second session as it will be discussed during the first meeting on how dimensions can be changed.
- 6 pieces of binders board (approx 4.25”x3”) - one of the boards will be used as ‘spacer’ while assembling the ladder.
- 5 pieces of decorative paper to cover board and wrap around edges
- 5 pieces of decorative paper for paste-down
- 12 strips of paper or ribbon: ½ ” wide, 5” long – paper is easier to glue!
Workshop Fee: $80
Date & Time: 2 Wednesdays :: November 11 & 18, 2020 :: 3-5pm Pacific time
Location: Online over Zoom
Please read over the SFCB Registration Policies before signing up for a class.
REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE 3 DAYS PRIOR TO THE START DATE OF THIS WORKSHOP.
About the Instructor | Bettina Pauly
Bettina lives in San Francisco as a book artist and works as a letterpress printer with Kim Vanderheiden at Painted Tongue Studios, Oakland, California. She loves books and boxes both as physical objects and as containers of meaning. She is interested in a variety of folded, sewn and woven structures in which she can incorporate her printing.
Past Student Reviews:
“She's fantastic. Very knowledgeable, patient, kind, and encouraging, answering questions clearly and thoroughly and even repeatedly if necessary."
“The instructor was outstanding. She was low key, but so thorough. I loved the class.”
"Bettina is a pro. She is a pleasure to learn from.”