SFCB offers Certificate Programs in Letterpress Printing and Hand Bookbinding. These programs are designed to provide the highest caliber of instruction in traditional letterpress printing and hand bookbinding available in a non-academic setting.
The Letterpress Certificate Program brings together all our key letterpress workshops into one sequence that leads the participant from introductory typesetting all the way through the production of multi-color, high quality finished pieces. The Certificate Program includes the month-long Letterpress Printing on a Vandercook Cylinder Press, Photopolymer Platemaking Lab, and Advanced Letterpress Production Printing. By signing up for the entire program, the student receives savings in workshop fees.
Addtionally, the advantages of participating in the SFCB Letterpress Certificate Program include:
• Access to the best letterpress facilities and instructors on the West Coast
• Knowledge of the essentials of traditional letterpress printing;
• Collaboration and interaction with other letterpress students;
• A beautiful letterpress-printed completion certificate;\• Continued access to our print studio through the SFCB Studio Rental program;
• An hour of free studio rental;
• The satisfaction of knowing how to make to make an excellent letterpress print!
The Bookbinding Certificate Program brings together all our key bookbinding workshops into one sequence that leads the participant from the fundamentals of book construction all the way through the making of full leather bound books. The Certificate Program includes the following month-long series: Introduction to Traditional Bookbinding: Flatback & Roundback Bindings and Intermediate Bookbinding.
The advantages of completing the SFCB Bookbinding Certificate Program include:
• Access to the highest caliber bookbinding facilities and instructors on the West Coast;
• Knowledge of the essentials of traditional bookbinding;
• Collaboration and interaction with other bookbinding students;
• Two hours of free bindery studio rental;
• A beautiful letterpress-printed completion certificate;
• Continued access to our studio bindery through our Studio Rental program;
• The satisfaction of knowing how to make an excellent handmade book!
Please visit our workshops page to see details on specific workshops. To sign up for the certificate program and receive the discount, please contact the San francisco Center for the Book at 415-565-0545 x105